Friday, February 27

Building-Love






















I fell in love at first sight, and my love only grows at further contemplation. *sigh* Despite the noisy (and occasionally noisome) population of lycée (high school) kids which poor out for the two-hour lunch break, it always charms me, with its carvings (owls, sea maidens, flowering trees) and its miss-matched towers and windows. It reminds me of Diana, and my big green book of The Collected Grimms' Fairy Tales, and secret candles burning late at night.



I don't really love this building, but I do love the birds! They're always sweeping about in alternately creepy and picturesque manners; it makes me think of the birds in Mary Poppins, outside of St. Paul's. My camera never seems to be ready to catch them.



"Love" is perhaps not the right word for Gallia (my dorm)--"well-worn affection", maybe? At the very least it's home. This is the view from the bridge to the west of it (looking right or left would show you the canals), and these are the tram stops. Trams E and C stop here, which I remember by thinking "Chicken" and "Emily". (Or "Choose Elephants!", or "Children Eat".)



This is part of the view from out my window, the top of the building with the little stained-glass arch (which you can see here in the corner). I've come to like the slopes of the roof, the shapes of all the pieces, the steps leading up to the front; I like how it looks different in different lights, different weather or parts of the day.

No comments: