Tuesday, February 24

News About the Summer!

I just found out that I've been accepted to the Princeton-in-France summer internship program, and that I got my first choice of the stages (internships) : working at the Fondation Monet, in Giverny!

There were many placement options to request, including a dreamy one at the Musée d'Orsay, which was my second choice. I hope that Giverny will be the best for me, though, not just because of the many practicalities (especially the free housing vs. trying to find a Paris apartment) but also because it's an entirely different type of work--the stagiares (interns) get to actually work with the gardeners and take care of the grounds, among other more clerical and art-related tasks. So not only do I get to spend some warmer months in France, but I also get to spend them playing with plants in the dirt! My ideal vacation.

Giverny is a tiny (tourist) town northwest of Paris, situated in the valley of the Seine. You can take a train from Paris to Vernon, and then rent a bicycle or walk the 5km to Giverny (or, pour les paresseuses, take the summer shuttle or a taxi). I do worry a little bit that I might get bored (of course there's not as much to do as in Strasbourg), but the weather will be warm and the days will be long, and the whole area looks just perfect for taking long walks. Or maybe I'll meet a nice paysan who can teach me how to drive a truck, or a friendly artiste to help me with my charcoals, or, best of all, un cuisinier (a "chef") to show me how best to put to use all that cheese and summer fruit . . .

No comments: