Tuesday, May 26

Adventures in Food





First, the place with the spaetzle that wasn’t.

(Underwhelming, overpriced Alsatian noodles, but good company! And in my beloved Place Benjamin Zix.)

















The best yufka, döner, and falafel in town! And I should know, since I’ve sampled the work of at least 7 different places. Second prize goes to another hole-in-the-wall in Place St-Etienne, who win on the flavor of the sauce but lose on the fattiness of the meat, and the total lack of falafel.


“Le bol de soupe et sa tranche de pain grillé” at L’Epicerie, which is tied with Bistrot et Chocolat for my favorite restaurant. I lived here from February to April, and especially during dinnertime, when I always had this particular meal (only 3,50 euro!).

This is L'Epicerie after the spring equinox, when they stopped selling soup (sadness!) but started putting chairs out on the terrace (happiness!).


France is full of chocolate cereal! This was at Tara’s house, the night we celebrated something (I can’t remember what) with chocolate cereal, palmiers, feuilles de chocolat, a thousand other sweet things--and watching Pineapple Express for the first time. We laughed so much we shocked all the French neighbors, who only chuckle (never belly laugh).

After our Obama-day, we stopped at the grocery store for reviving provisions. Here, I demonstrate the beauty of the coffee aisle.


Beautiful apples from one of my most favorite marchés, just north of the cathédrale.














The “jaffle”, another beautiful cheap lunch found just off Place Kleber, consisting of “American” bread pressed into a grill and filled with chicken and bearnaise sauce. And here I am quite happy after eating the Jaffle! It was a beautiful sunny day and I was taking the day off from work.

And on a final non-food-related note, here is a picture taken by a very kind and handsome Swedish man a few minutes earlier, when I asked for a picture of me in front of the cathedral. He spent about ten minutes talking to me while figuring out how to include “all the beautiful saints” in the background too. Merci bien, mon gentilhomme!



(This picture is related to food in that food makes me grin, and in this picture I am grinning . . . almost as if anticipating lunchtime. Mmmm, lunchtime.)

No comments: