Monday, January 26

Motif : Numbers

Most of you know that I am not so good with numbers. When they are resting well-behaved on the page and no one’s timing me, I can handle them all right, but as soon as they start tumbling out of people’s mouths I get knocked right over. If this is the case in English, it is doubly so in French! For those of you who have not suffered through Introductory French, here’s the run-down : French numbers plod along dutifully up to ten (un deux trois quatre cinq six sept huit neuf dix), then make a few new words (onze douze treize quatorze quinze seize), and then start adding ten and the number (dix-sept dix-huit dix-neuf). This last pattern continues, because after each group of ten (20 vingt, 30 trente, 40 quarante, 50 cinquante, 60 soixante) you simply say also the second digit. For example, 23 is vingt trois, literally “twenty three”.

So the numerical system SEEMS logical, and it lulls you into a false sense of security until, at 70, it ATTACKS you with Gallic absurdity! Instead of creating a new word (“seventy” or “setenta”), it gives you soixante-dix, literally “sixty-ten”! Which means to say 74 you say soixante-quatorze, “sixty-fourteen”! And it doesn’t stop there! 80 is quatre-vingts, “four twenties”, and ninety is quatre-vingt-dix, “four-twenties-ten”! To say 93 you say “four-twenties-thirteen”! My poor brain!

So when paying for things, we have started simply handing them more than enough money and getting change. And I practice muttering the bigger numbers under my breath as I walk along the street, which is doubtless going a long way in endearing me to the locals.


Another number difference : military time, which is used everywhere here. I’ve gotten very good at adding and subtracting 12; I don’t even need a paper and pencil anymore! Two numbers I learned very quickly : “14h” and “19h”. Two p.m. is when stores open again, after the 2 hour lunch break; and 7 p.m. is when it is reasonable to look for dinner. And woe to the clueless one (i.e. myself) who looks to go anywhere on a Sunday, because the only option will be a kosher grocery store. Stores which say they are “ouvert tous les jours!” mean Monday through Saturday.

1 comment:

Steve White said...

This is a hoot! I would be hopeless there as I can barely count in English.
Steve W.