Monday, January 26

A Poem by Jules Supervielle

For my second JP (“junior paper”, 30pp for the Comp Lit Dept) I’m going to work with French poetry and “thematics”, i.e. something which shows up in the particular poet(s) I’ve picked. Since I’m a monomaniac [cf Prof van Z’s book], I’ll be talking about religion—for example, how the image of baptism is used, how God is addressed, the relationship between God and the earth, etc. I’ve narrowed my poets to three choices : the ecstatic Paul Claudel, the convert Max Jacob, and the “Franciscan” Jules Supervielle. All are French poets, all are Roman Catholic.
I’ve been reading their work, trying to decide; here’s one of my favorites, by Jules Supervielle.

Haute mer

Parmi les oiseaux et les lunes
Qui hantent le dessous des mers
Et qu’on devine à la surface
Aux folles phases de l’écume,

Parmi l’aveugle témoignage
Et les sillages sous-marins
De mille poissons sans visage
Qui cachent en eux leur chemin,

Le noyé cherche la chanson
Où s’était formé son jeune âge,
Ecoute en vain les coquillages
Et les fait choir au sombre fond.

No comments: