Monday, January 26

Strasbourg by camera



View of Strasbourg from the platform of the cathedral; my first day in France, and within two hours of arriving at the program, I was climbing up a spire!



What miracle--a sunny day! That's my (very unhealthy) lunch on the windsill : part of a baguette and some cheeeese. Strasbourg is a little like New Jersey in that it is mostly gray, so when the sun comes out you REALLY notice it.



Leeeaaaaning precariously out the window (don't worry Mom!) to the right (the West), I can see the canal of the Ill river and the sleek rumbling tram.










Our room! The messy side is of course mine.



Leeeeaaaaning out the window to the left, you can see our neighbors' balcony (so jealous!) and the sad stumpy plane trees (les platanes) waiting for spring.







In the evenings, Tara and I go wandering around the "downtown", l'Ile or la vielle ville etc. Sometimes we're looking for food, sometimes we're just taking the long route to get to a store, sometimes we're just filling in our mental maps by going down every small street where we haven't been. Last week, we discovered this glittery tiny restaurant, on the rue des Tailleurs-de-Pierre (if my memory doesn't fault me).



Tara considers how best to capture the gray radiance of les jardins de l'Universite, a stretch of manicured lawns and plane trees just behind (north) of Gallia, our dorm, and behind (east) of the Palais Universitaire, home of my beloved theology departments.



We walked further (east) into the garden; here I pose happily with the Palais Universitaire in the background. What you can't see from here is that the ridge of the building is lined with friendly famous people like Zwingli, Luther, etc.











Finding color where I can.



























Oh, hey there Cathedral!























Tara at the place Gutenberg, where Saturday mornings there are books for sale! Also a good winstub, which we have not yet tried.